January 16, 2012

Flowers In Her Hair










I've been in school without breaks since Kindergarden and living my life for the first time without it has allowed me to realize a few things about myself. Namely that I am not a productive person. I need a deadline or a reason to make something and I get very little satisfaction out of producing something solely for myself. Instilling passion and drive into your everyday life is a noble pursuit and I think with time and maturation I'll hopefully get there. So if you have a project in mind and think I'd be a good fit, feel free to contact me, I'd love to hear it!

That being said I haven't totally been sitting on my bum. I've done a few drawings for friends, recently designed a friends record, I'm in the midst of painting and designing another friends record, had an old painting that I spent a long time touching up in a show (above), making and designing mixes for friends (above) and just spending a lot of time with my great friends who I'd probably go crazy without.


The future hopefully holds a collaborative project I'm really excited about. A road trip through the good ol' USA, and fingers crossed, teaching english in Japan starting in the summer.

I hope everyone who drops by here occasionally is doing well and is finding satisfaction in whatever pursuit they're after. It's hard and confusing figuring out what you really want out of life and I'm really struggling with that at the moment. I think that you end up learning a lot about yourself though, and end up having much more to say and offer other people. All the best everyone!

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Amazing work!

Margaret said...

Such beautiful work, Sean.

kiyaa said...

I have the same about the deadline thing. Do you find yourself getting more motivated when you know that the work would count for something?

Oh, and of course, your works blow me away!

Sean said...

Thanks! Definitely Kiyaa. Setting deadlines for yourself with no real goal or end in sight takes a lot of dedication. The formlessness of the day and lack of school or work structure can be a pretty big hurdle to productivity!

Gramma Jones said...

Sean, we don't know each other but I've seen your work and I think we have some mutual friends. I gotta say, you nailed it. Figuring your shit out in life is not something you can do with a plan. You gotta roll with the punches and do what feels right. I've been out of school for about 10 years now and in that time I've done a lot of really cool things and worked with some really cool people. I still have no idea what I'm doing. You're not alone but you're crazy talented and I think you're going to go a long way.
Good luck!!!

Sean said...

Gramma Jones, thanks so much, that meant a lot!

Gabriel said...

Hi Sean, I just came across your fantastic paintings through It's Nice That. I'm aware this is an old thread, but since I just read it, I have to tell you I sympathize with much of what you wrote here.

I've been out of art school for 11 years now, and at first it was hard to be on my own without the feedback and creative energy that I got from my professors and other students. Eventually, I realized it was all up to me and that no one was going to hand me a pencil or brush and bestow me with the enthusiasm and creative energy that were always in me to begin with.

Being fortunate to live in New York as I do, I try to be as resourceful as I can, while constantly learning and absorbing as much as possible. Books, films, music, cultural events, museums, friends, family -- all keep that engine running more or less smoothly. That's not to say there are no brief "hibernation" periods, but I've stopped worrying about that since realizing that the need to make things and communicate visually is part of who I am, and it will never go away permanently. The bottom line is, life goes on, and we do what we can with what it hands over to us.

Not sure if you still need advice in this area, but these are my two cents; hope they help in some way.

Your outlaws series is really impressive -- those images are certainly going to live in my mind for some time to come! I've been working on an "Impossible Couples" series for a while now. Feel free to visit my online portfolio, http://gabrielguma.com.

Best wishes from NY,

Gabriel